ALL THE GREAT BOOKS (abridged)
Directed by Reed Martin
JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR
Directed by Leslie McCauley
Music Direction by Janis Dunson-Wilson
Vocal Direction by Joshua Bailey
Choreography by Alyce Finwall
Please scroll down for instructions on what to prepare!
SRJC Auditions are open to the entire community, including high school students. (Middle school students and children are also welcome to audition when a production includes younger roles). Once cast, everyone enrolls in at least one class so then everyone is a student.
FRIDAY, JANUARY 18 and SATURDAY, JANUARY 19, 2019
Registration will begin on
Friday, January 18 at 5:00pm
Saturday, January 19 at 10:30am (note new daytime hours)
Callbacks: SUNDAY, JANUARY 20, 2019. 12:00 PM-7:00 PM*
(*Actors being called back may be asked to attend all or only a portion of the callbacks.)
Location: Rm. 2228T Lark Temporaries
(on Scholars Way, between the tennis courts and the baseball diamond)
Santa Rosa Junior College, Santa Rosa Campus
SRJC Campus Parking Map
ABOUT THE AUDITION APPOINTMENTS
• You only need to attend one night of the two dates for the Preliminary Auditions. Unless all appointments for your first choice are filled, you should be able to get the evening you want.
• If auditioning for both shows, we will schedule you for two 1-hour time slots back-to-back on the same day. We will try to move you through the process as efficiently as possible.
• Please have this information ready when you call for your appointment.
- Your name, phone number, and email address
- Is the audition for an adult, a pre-teen/teen, or a child actor (aged 12 or younger)?
- Do you want to attend the Friday OR Saturday audition slot?
- Will you be auditioning for both shows or only one show (title of show)?
- Are there any special circumstances or accommodations that you may need?
• IMPORTANT: Please arrive at least 30 minutes before your assigned audition time in order to register, complete the audition forms, attend a brief orientation, and travel to the audition space.
• Please help us stay on schedule by being on time. If you have not checked in at least 20 minutes before your appointment, you will lose your appointment time and may be moved to a time slot later in the evening.
** If you don’t have an appointment, don’t worry. Just come to the audition by 5:30pm on Friday or 11:00am on Saturday and we’ll work you in on a first-come, first served basis. You may have to wait longer than actors with appointments, however.
WHAT TO PREPARE and WHAT TO BRING TO ALL AUDITIONS
Carefully read the detailed instructions for each show below for what to prepare and bring for each show's specific auditions.
Bring a headshot and resume if you have them; however, they are not required. If you do not have a headshot, a small photo would be helpful (but we won't be able to return it).
Bring your calendars. Our rehearsal time is VERY limited, with many schedules to plan around. Therefore, only the conflicts you’ve communicated on your audition forms will be accepted.
AUDITION CRITERIA FOR ALL THE GREAT BOOKS (abridged)
By Reed Martin & Austin Tichenor
Additional material by Matthew Croke & Michael Faulkner
• About the Auditions and Casting Opportunities
Preliminary auditions will consist of performing a 60-90 second contemporary comic monologue, and telling a couple of jokes of your own choosing, as well as a brief chat. Callbacks will consist of reading from the script and could also involve improvisation and doing some physical comedy.
• All The Great Books (abridged) is an uproarious roller-coaster ride through a comically compact compilation of the world’s greatest literature! The setting is a remedial English class as 12 actors zip through over 80 books in 90 minutes from 1984 through Wuthering Heights. Everyone from the illiterate to the literati will love this refresher of literature’s greatest hits including Huckleberry Finn, The Odyssey, Green Eggs and Ham, Pride and Prejudice, War and Peace, Lord of the Rings…and more! It’s a hilarious shortcut through all the books you didn’t quite get around to reading in high school!
See the full syllabus – ie. All the books covered in the show and by “covered” we mean at least mentioned in passing - here: http://reducedshakespeare.com/productions/books/the-syllabus/
The show has been described as “English class meets Monty Python” by the Washington Post.
• Production Schedule
Rehearsals start Wednesday January 23, 2019. Performances: March 9-18, 2019
• What to Prepare
Please prepare a comic, contemporary 60-90 second monologue and two short jokes.
• Want to audition for ALL THE GREAT BOOKS (abridged) but your schedule conflicts? Or you have a show-specific question…
Please contact the director Reed Martin email@example.com using the subject line “Special Audition Request” or “Audition Question.” Include the reason for your request, your contact information, and whether or not you are auditioning for both SRJC fall shows.
AUDITION CRITERIA FOR JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR
Lyrics by Tim Rice
Music by Andrew Lloyd Webber
• About the Auditions
Created at the end of the turbulent 1960s, this iconic rock opera portrays Jesus' meteor-like rise in renown and, as the title suggests, is a parallel to contemporary celebrity worship.
Preliminary auditions will consist of a short singing audition (see Vocal Audition Requirements below), followed by a brief cold reading as one of the show’s characters and a brief chat.
Callbacks will consist of a dance/movement audition (see Dance Audition Requirements below), a singing audition in which actors will sing specific songs from the show with limited preparation time, and cold readings from the script.
• How Should I Prepare for the Audition?
In addition to the specific Vocal Audition and Dance Audition criteria listed below, please be very familiar with the musical’s story, characters, and songs prior to the preliminary auditions.
• Important Information
Click here for helpful resources and much more information about Jesus Christ Superstar auditions
• Production Schedule
Rehearsals start Thursday January 24, 2019. Performances: April 19 - May 5, 2019
VOCAL AUDITION REQUIREMENTS FOR JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR
• What to Prepare: Please prepare 30 – 60 seconds (under 1 minute) of singing from the standard Broadway musical repertoire. Your audition piece should demonstrate your singing ability and allow you to play a character; remember we want to see you act while singing. Bring the music for your song with you. It should be in the correct key for your voice.
Click here for more information about the vocal auditions for Jesus Christ Superstar, including an alternative song if you do not have one prepared.
DANCE AUDITION REQUIREMENTS FOR JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR – For Callbacks Only
Click here for more information about the dance auditions for Jesus Christ Superstar, including important information about what to wear to callbacks.
• Want to audition for Jesus Christ Superstar, but your schedule conflicts? Or you have a show-specific question…
Please contact the director Leslie McCauley firstname.lastname@example.org using the subject line “Special Audition Request.” Include the reason for your request, your contact information, and whether or not you are auditioning for both SRJC fall shows.
What's a monologue?
A monologue is a speech from a play where one character speaks for an extended period of time to another character, him/herself, or the audience. Actors are asked not to select a monologue from the play for which they are auditioning.
What if I don't have a prepared monologue?
Not to worry. If you've never done this before OR found out about auditions at the last minute, you may use one of the 'generic' monologues linked at the bottom of this page under "GENERAL AUDITION RESOURCES." Since you have limited time, do not worry about reading the play the monologue is, although that does help you prepare. Reading about the play’s plot and characters online can help too.
GREAT RESOURCES ON AUDITIONING FOR A MUSICAL!!
How to Prepare a Musical Theatre Audition - 8 Steps
How to Prepare a Musical Theatre Audition
Singing Auditions for Musical Theatre
GENERAL AUDITION RESOURCES
Crash Course in Auditioning at SRJC
Frequently Asked Questions?
Being in an SRJC Show
Generic Female Monologue
Generic Male Monologue
FOR GENERAL QUESTIONS, CONTACT US